- Coming Home is a registered thoroughbred racehorse
- She is a granddaughter of a famous Kentucky Derby winner (Unbridled)
- She is also a cousin of Eight Belles, another racehorse who finished second in the Kentucky derby and was euthanized soon after finishing the race due to an injury
- Nearly 30,000 new thoroughbreds are born each year, but many of these horses are neglected if they are injured or too slow for the racetrack
- According to PETA, 10,000 horses are sent to slaughter every year
- PETA is proposing a retirement fee for horses that would contribute towards a $20 million fund for registered racehorses
PETA. “Racehorse Saved from Slaughter.” People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, 4 May 2011, http://www.peta.org. Accessed 7 October 2016.